Sunday, September 11, 2016

TWITTER STARTS MARKETING TO PEOPLE WHOSE MEMORIES ON FACEBOOK ARE DEPRESSING AS HELL


(Silicon Valley, CA):  Facebook may be the #1 social media network in the world, but that may soon change with Twitter’s announcement that it will begin marketing to people whose Facebook ‘memories’ are depressing as Hell.  One of Facebook’s many features is called “Memories” in which a user is shown past posts from that calendar date that will span from exactly one year prior to when the individual started their Facebook account.  For many, this is a novel way to remember fun and interesting posts you may have forgotten, but for a growing majority Facebook’s ‘Memories’ dredge up feelings of sadness and despair that were better off left in the past.   This trend hasn’t gone unnoticed by Facebook’s biggest competitor, Twitter, who plans on capitalizing on the unintended consequences of Facebook ‘Memories’ experienced by millions of people worldwide.

“Twitter doesn’t dig up the past, we are all about the here and now” stated Irene Russell of Twitter’s User Outreach Department.  “We want users to be in a constant state of discovery with funny tweets and famous celebrities making inspirational comments in 140 characters [or less if they want their tweets to be retweeted, or shared among other users]. Twitter does not force you to re-live detailed, depressing events in your life, not even vague posts that consist of the sad face emoji.  Twitter users start fresh every 30 seconds.  It is this constant renewal of ideas that we believe will appeal to Facebook users who are annually reminded that they went through a terrible divorce three years ago or that they found out that they were adopted two years ago.”

“I had just logged on Facebook this morning before work like I do everyday” stated Kevin Cooper of Kansas City, MO “when I saw the memories pop up on my phone.  As I scrolled through them a post from 2013 came up.  That day my cat had been accidentally hit by a car. Actually, it was my car, and I was driving. All those feelings of loss and anguish came flooding back.  I shouldn’t have described it in such detail, but at the time I thought people would want to know. Now I’m depressed all over again, so I shared it with my friends and family… letting them know just how I feel about seeing disheartening posts I made when I was feeling miserable. I should have never taken a selfie with my dead cat, or made that Vine of her final moments.  I hope when I see this next year I won’t get as upset reliving every second of it.”... [READ MORE]

No comments:

Post a Comment